President's Blog - Sue Christensen
Post date: Jun 23, 2015 5:55:55 PM
Another fiscal year is ending, and I would be remiss if I didn’t thank all of the members who contributed to advancing our chapter and its mission. The June 2015 meeting will be my last as President of the Milwaukee chapter of AFWA, and I cannot tell you how much I have learned in this role. That said, I am ready to turn over my gavel to our incoming President, Jess Vento. I know that you will all support her as you supported me.
For many of our longer-term members, June 30 is the renewal date for their membership, and this seems like an appropriate time to remind all of you about the benefits that are provided by our national organization for that membership. My personal opinion is that the CPE, networking, job referrals, business skills training, leadership development opportunities and lasting friendships provided by the local chapter are the best benefits of membership. In addition, however, the following items are some of the tangible benefits provided by the national organization:
- National and regional conferences that provide additional networking and CPE opportunities
- Webinars, some with CPE available
- Scholarships for undergraduate, master’s and PhD programs awarded by the Foundation of AFWA (funded by members)
- Certification scholarships for CPA, CFP, CFE, CIA, CMA or CVA exam fees
- Career Center
- Discounts on CPA Review Courses (Wiley CPAexcel)
- Discounts on reference books (CCH)
- Discounts on disability and long term care insurance (MassMutual)
- Discounts on other association memberships (ALPFA and IMA)
The savings on these items alone can cover your cost of membership.
Finally, I would like to extend a warm welcome to our newest members – Stephen Weiss and Linda Amann. Please be sure to introduce yourself to them when you see them at a meeting.
Again, thank you for all of your support and I look forward to seeing you at a meeting soon!